Translate

The teaching of stop...


My teacher once told me, "If you wait for the mind to stop, you're going to wait
forever." I suddenly had to rethink my avenue to enlightenment. I'd been trying to stop
my mind for a very long time, and I knew I had to find another course of action.

The spiritual instruction to "just stop" is not directed to the mind or to feelings or
to the personality. It's directed to the afterthought that takes credit and blame and says,
"It's mine." Stop!

That's where the teaching of stop is aimed. Just stop that. And then, in
that moment, feel how completely disarmed the sense of me feels. When the sense of me
is disarmed, it doesn't know what to do, whether to go forward or backward, right or left.

That's the kind of stopping that's important. The rest is just a game. Then, in that
stopping, a different state of being, an undivided state, starts to emerge. Why? Because
we are no longer at odds with ourselves.


- Adyashanti

No comments: