Translate

I Entered, not knowing where...


I ENTERED, NOT KNOWING WHERE

~a poem by Saint John of the Cross

I entered not knowing where
And I remained not knowing,
Beyond all science knowing........

1. I did not know where I entered,
But when I saw myself there,
Not knowing where I entered,
Many things I suddenly learned,
I will not say what these things were,
For I remained not knowing,
Beyond all science knowing.

2. It was peace, It was love,
It was the perfect knowledge,
In deep solitude
I saw with wisdom;
It was a thing so secret
I was left babbling and trembling,
Beyond all science knowing.

3. I went so far beyond,
So lost and absorbed,
I lost all my senses
I was of all sensing dispossessed;
And my spirit was filled
With knowledge not knowing,
Beyond all science knowing

4. Whoever truly reaches there,
Is lost to herself;
All she knew before
Now appears very base;
But her knowledge grows,
And she remains not knowing,
Beyond all science knowing.

5. The higher she climbs,
the less she understands,
For this is the dark cloud
That brings light to the night;
And whoever has this light
Always remains not knowing,
Beyond all science knowing.

6. This knowing by not knowing
Is of such high power,
That the arguments of the wise
Are wholly unable to grasp it;
For their knowledge does not explain (indeed, it cannot)
Not to know knowing,
Beyond all science knowing.

7. And this exalted wisdom
Is of such excellence,
That no faculty or science
Can hope to reach it;
But she who learns to conquer herself
With this knowledge of not knowing,
Will always go beyond all science knowing.

8. And if you really want to hear it,
This highest science consists
In a most sublime sensing
Of the Divine Essence;
It is an act of clemency
Which leaves us not knowing
Beyond all science knowing!

No comments: