Translate

Purged of Dogma...


‘Yesterday a conversation about divinity and faith led me to a great and stupendous idea, the realisation of which I feel capable of devoting my whole life to.

This idea is the foundation of a new religion corresponding to the development of mankind – the religion of Christ, but purged of dogma and mystery, a practical religion, not promising future bliss but providing bliss on earth.

I realise that to bring this idea to fruition will take generations of people working consciously towards this goal.

One generation will bequeath this idea to the next, and one day fanaticism or reason will implement it. Working consciously to unite people with religion is the foundation of the idea which I hope will occupy me.‘


Leo Tolstoy (age 27)
Diary entry, 4 March 1855

No comments: