Translate

Source of knowledge...

From: Douglas Mitchell ...Subject: Source of my knowledge


I have recieved emails from several of you wondering what is the inspiration for
my thoughts. I must share the secret. It is Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj. His
spiritual classic "I Am That" is a must read along with his last two books,
"Prior to Consciousness", and "Consciousness and the Absolute. Nisargadatta,
a great Advaita Master of the late 20th century, advised one to take dispassion
( a lack of passion for this mirage called life) and convert it into passion for
inquiring about one's true nature. The first step is tracing the self back to
its primary belief or concept. Go back the way you came,as Ramana
Maharshi said. After peeling away all the labels you have acquired, male,
female, parent, child, student, seeker, worker,etc., you are left with the basic
knowledge of your existence. Nisragadatta called this the nonverbal I am Not of being something, just pure being. This is the primary
belief or concept of Consciousness. The next step is to realize that this "I
am" is one with universal Consciousness known as Brahman. Brahman is the mind of
"God" to use a term I don't prefer because of the anthropomorphic baggage. The
creative energy and manifestation of Brahman is Shakti. Together these comprise
the Self Aware Universe. The Universe is conscious all the way down to its
constituent parts. Each piece is a unit of consciousness, self aware and able to
function in its determined role. So for instance an atom is a unit of
consciousness. It has a very limited quality of self awareness, and it
instinctually knows its function. The human brain is the most complex unit of
consciousness on Earth. It is composed of smaller units of consciousness, that
together form a highly evolved unit of consciousness. It is highly self aware
and extremely capable of understanding complex, abstract concepts about itself
and
its environment. The brain/mind can realize its oneness with the universal
mind/consciousness known as Brahman. It is also one with the universal energy
known as Shakti. Brahman/Shakti are an apparent duality as is everything
in the universe of manifestation. In reality all is One. Oneness is the meaning
of Advaita. You are That. Once you are established in the nature of
Brahman/Shakti which is satchitananda (beingness/consciousness/bliss) you
continue to inquire as to the source of Brahman/Shakti which is Parabrahman, a
metaphor for That which transcends all apparent duality and categories of
human thought, including being and non-being. Parabrahman is without a subject-I
and an objective form. It transcends even awareness. It is "unawareness." It
only becomes aware of itself through the manifestation of the universe with its
Brahman/Shakti. Ultimately you are Parabrahman. Tatvamasi. You are That, which
is imperceivable and
inconceivable; empty, yet full of infinite potential. Bhakti
(devotion/praise/worship) and meditation on the knowledge/wisdom imparted by
Nisargadatta is the easiest way to realize your true nature as no-thing-ness, or
Nirvana (which means extinction of the subject-I and hence all awareness). I
sing to/chant to/praise That which I am, daily. This brings great joy. I
meditate by stilling the mind and "staying put in my no-thing-ness as a portal
to the Absolute" called Parabrahman. This is the teaching of Nisargadatta and my
own experience. Know that everything is Consciousness. No-thing exists outside
of Consciousness. You are That No-thing. As Nisargadatta also said, My
emptiness is full. My silence sings. And Love says, ˜I am everything.. Wisdom says,˜I am no-thing.. I hope this inspires you in your search!

Douglas Mitchell

No comments: