Translate

Surrender to Healing...

Dismayed by the failure of my physicians' last resort, I was sitting
up in bed reading a passage from an old journal of John Wesley about
spiritual healing. It quoted a friend as saying: "I could not move
from place to place, but on crutches. In this state I continued about
six years. At Bath I sent for a physician but before he came, as I sat
reading the Bible, I thought, `Asa sought to the physicians, and not
to God; but God can do more for me than any physician'; soon after
rising up, I found I could stand. From that time I have been perfectly
well."

As soon as I finished this passage I thought it should be applied to
my own case, and laid the book aside. A great mental stillness and
inner indrawing came over me at the same time. I saw that all the
methods hitherto used to eliminate the disease were futile precisely
because they were the ego's own methods, whether physical, magical,
mental, or mechanical. I had exhausted them all. So the ego had to
confess its total failure and cast itself on the mercy of the higher
power in humiliation and prayer. I realized that instead of thinking
that I or my physicians were competent to cure the disease, the
correct way was to disbelieve that and to look to the Overself alone
for healing. I saw that the stillness was its grace, that this
quietness was its power. It could best cure me, if only I would relax
and let it enter. So I surrendered to it and within a few weeks was
healed.

— Notebooks Category 10: Healing of the Self > Chapter 5: The Healing
Power of The Overself > # 153.........Paul Brunton

No comments: