Translate

Contemplation Develops The Beholder...

From the August 1961 Letter, Contemplation Develops The Beholder
By Joel Goldsmith

Living as a Witness to the Activity of God In every one of the
miracles performed by the Master, there was the denial of self and the
glorification of the Father. Always it was, "I of my own self am doing
nothing, for I of my own self am nothing. If I speak of myself, I bear
witness to a lie. Therefore, it is not I who do the healing: I am but
bearing witness to the presence and power of God."
How can we bear witness to this Power except by being still? If we do
otherwise, we can no longer say that we are doing nothing or that we
are nothing. We have become something the moment we do something.
Therefore, when we are confronted with appearances – whether the
appearance is called good or evil – we are being confronted with a
human appearance, and if we would bear witness to the presence of God,
we must do nothing, we must think nothing, and we must have no
judgment. I am sure that you will not confuse this with an ignoring of
our life's work, nor as a lazy do nothing attitude, but you will
understand this to be a disciplined withholding of judging as to good
or evil and an attitude of expectancy – as of listening within. Be
sure that you understand the significance of this attitude.
In order to make ourselves nothing, we must immediately realize
within ourselves, "There is neither good nor evil: There is only God."
Then, as we look out at the erroneous appearance with no judgment,
there truly is neither good nor evil: There is only the presence of
God, and now the Father within can perform Its function, and Its
function is to dissolve the appearance and reveal God's glory – His
own being.

No comments: